First Work in Progress for 2014

Thursday, January 2, 2014

 Happy New Years everyone!  
It's such a wonderful time of year, isn't it?
  It's just day 2 of twenty-fourteen and already I feel so much motivation and energy!!!  I've been rockin' that post-holiday diet that I started umm...this morning.  I got some cleaning and organizing done last night...  I'm doing a blog post right now...  Can you feel the awesomeness going on here?!?  Just kidding!  I've got a long way to go but I definitely feel a lot better now that Christmas is put away and deadlines have been met.  

Can I just tell you that I mailed off 14 new quilts to Martingale Publishing on December 31st?  It. Felt. Awesome.  That was my big accomplishment for 2013.  We can talk more about it when it gets closer to book release date though.  Just 11 months and counting...

[A sneak-peek of one of the projects.]

Anyways, I've been having lots of fun with this little crew over the last week or two.


And the highlight of our New Years Day?  Sushi with family.  


We went to my brother-in-law/Sister-in-law's house yesterday (my sister-in-law is Japanese and both my husband and brother-in-law served 2-year LDS church missions in Japan many years ago).  Needless to say, they all love sushi and got me hooked on it a few years ago.  It's such fun food.  And so delicious.  Seriously.  Have you tried it?  

[My Temakizushi via Instagram.  
Ingredients included:  Seaweed, rice, tuna, crab meat, avocado, jalapeno, green onions, Sriracha hot sauce and Japanese mayonnaise.  Heavenly.  That's all I'm gonna say.  Heavenly.]

Anyways, I'm all vamped up for the new year.
I'm ready to tackle projects that I've been neglecting for some time now and honestly, I haven't been able to fall asleep on several different nights recently because I'm dreaming of home renovation projects I want to do!  It's terrible! 

In the quilting department though...
I am making a little progress on a quilt I recently started for one of my BFF's. 

She's a pretty traditional gal and her house is super cute (Restoration Hardware-style) so she picked out this simple pattern and the fabric (my treat!) to work with her family room decor.  It's going to be a late Christmas... birthday, Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day... gift to her and her family :)  No, hopefully I'll have it done sooner than that but, you know - a quilt's a big gift so it's going to be a late Christmas & birthday gift.
 
 
The pattern is from Fig Tree's "Twinkle" booklet.   It's a cute little book that takes 2 basic blocks (the 9-Patch and the Snowball blocks), puts them into 1 setting and then shows what can happen with the use of different color combinations.  Pretty straight-forward but fun to see the dramatic change that can happen with color and fabric placement!

 
Well, here's to the start of a fabulous new year!  
Hope you're feeling as gung-ho as I am...
and I hope it lasts!

Happy quilting!!!
~ Amber

10 comments:

  1. Well, I'm energized just reading your great blog!! One quil I want to make for the new year is yours that I've had for about 2 years.I love it, if I look at the name, I'll lose my place. ha. Your family is beautiful. It is so great to see you young women taking the reins of the quilting industry, and giving us old ladies a fresh look at it from your eyes.
    diannemitzel1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so much for fish, so I really think I'd have a hard time w/ raw fish (plus I have a texture issue). But, I do like to sometimes buy the veggies only sushi from Whole Foods - I'm living it up over here :)

    It is amazing how you can take one quilt pattern and it can change just with fabrics/placement! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree: Twinkle is an eye opening booklet. So instructive and fun. Your quilt (& year) is off to a fab start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally,

    I still don't like steak because of the texture (and the pink/blood/juices) and I use to be the same way with Sushi too. I can't bite into sushi if a big chunk of raw fish is on top but if a little is hidden inside then I can't really tell. Really, the flavors and sauces are so good. And there's usually cream cheese or avacado. Sometimes it's fried. Wow. It's yummy!

    Thanks for stopping by and happy New Year!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy, and to think I have most of the ingredients in the fridge and pantry. I have become almost addicted to nori rolls and sushi since I tried them two years ago. Seems to be the plate of food I take to friends when asked, I have gotten a few friends addicted as well. Off to make some rolls for lunch, best wishes Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours you are working with. You will make it look fabulous!
    Once again, you have motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so yummy!! what a great New Year meal. Love the quilt especially the single 9 patch. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see your new book Amber! Looks like you had a wonderful New Year's celebration -- Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natasha.

    Thank you! It was a fun (and delicious) way to spend New Years Day and 9-patches are great, aren't they? Thanks for stopping by!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anna! I can't wait either :) Happy New Years to you!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber